Monday, April 20, 2009

lost in wilderness

Saturday morning, 6:15am, Rishikesh ... With no specific plan about how to spend the morning, decided to go for a walk. An hour later came across a small signpost claiming that few km uphill there is a primary school. I stood at the junction, not sure if to take the chance. I am glad I took it. Didnt know where I was headed, just kept going uphill leaving behind the Ganges and the motor-road behind. I meandered up through the bushes and trees. For the first half an hour nothing special happened, but something told me I should keep going rather than turning back. An hour later, one more uphill stetch brought me to a flat section --- I cannot tell what was special there, but something definitely was. It looked ordinary, but felt out of the world. The noise level was very high, but not from cars/buses but from birds. Birds who were crying out loud but I couldnt spot more than a couple of them. I was unsure whether they were excited to see me or annoyed. It felt great. I was thrilled. I felt that I was not alone, I heard footsteps behind bushes, must have been someone there -- but again couldnt see. Good things come to an end, such is life. I headed back, and ran down the trail. May be next time I am there I stay up there for a day. A place which was simply beautiful --- kind of beauty that can be felt not seen. A rare beauty ...

1 comment:

Gudrun said...

'In search of hidden gems' I guess you managed to find one. When reading the note I got lost - trying to imagine, picture it. I couldn't resist to check out the place on google. Your discription and the pictures I found help to get some idea of the place. Did I say that it is a great piece of writing?