Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Al-Habib

Al-Habib (not the actual name), the tiny shack near the Kharagpur rail station. One of the few times, it took me much more money to reach the place compared to the price of food. A hearty dinner cost me INR 13.5, yes that's a decimal point. I do not how they make it, but definitely one of my favorite places for kebab. Its not the typical old-Delhi kebab of minced meat, its more like chunks of meat suitable spiced. I loved it, not that I expected anything less. It might have been memories (some 10 years old) seeping into the food and obscuring the actual taste. But really, I enjoyed it and that's all it matters.

I went there alone, and was thinking how did we ever got to know the place? Even if I see a place like that today, I will think many times before venturing in. Which is a bit scary thought implying how many such places are there right before us, but still hidden. I think some senior(s) told us about the place a decade back. But following the trace whoever among the iit-kgpites ventured there first time -- big big kudos. If only a similar place was there near iitd but then again whats the point of dreaming. Some things are better if they are far away ...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it comparable with bade miyan's shutli kebab?

niloy said...

No the place fares worse compared to bare miyan. But then again comparing kebab from the walled city to kebab from a shack near a railway station is not fair.