Sunday, November 9, 2008

Delhi Half Marathon

(official timings from http://championchipuae.com/results_airtel08.php?search=mitra&si=name&s=Search)
00:47:49 01:01:44 01:57:00 02:07:36 02:01:28 641 459
The respective columns being 7.5km, 10km, 19.3km marks followed by total time, cross finish time (which means i finished in 2hrs 1min 28sec) with a overall position of 641, and 459 in my category whatever that means.


Final timing was 2:07:30 but given when I reached the start point past the holding area, the clock said 5minutes past, so I ran 21.097km in 2:02:30, not bad!

Last week wasn't good for training, since I only ran short loops on Monday and Tuesday, but that was better than nothing. Yesterday, I carbed up -- I think I was eating most of the day, not big serving but servings all the same. For dinner had just pasta without any sauce, and a bit of meat. I probably drank about 6-7 liters of water, might have been more. I was well prepared!

Today I woke up at 5:10am to have a banana, and of course more water. Just before leaving home had a bit of cereals at around 6:30am and some water. I got a ride to the start point (thanks sb), or that was the intention. Soon we realized that there were lots of road blocks for the event, so had to get off a bit early and walk (thanks d for company and support). In effect, reached the start point rather the holding point almost past 7:30am. It took me about 5 minutes of following the dense crowd before making it to the start point. The fun began!

I think I ran the first couple of km quite slow, but got into a nice rhythm soon. From then it was just overtaking people (and being overtaken occasionally) and enjoying the run. Soon it was 4, 8, 10kms .. a few more minutes and turned around after La Meridian -- halfway done.

I do not remember too much exiting things happening after that, the km-markers kept appearing, and I moved on. Overall I think I finished very smoothly running at a steady pace. It felt great!

After the run collected a medal/certificate and some refreshment. Had some food with d, and caught an auto to reach back home. Happy with what I could do, have to wait for a couple of weeks to get the timing certificate.

Enough running around, time to start climbing again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrates, End results is very nice. You were trying for less than 2 hour and you are just there. I think completing half marathon in itself is big personal achievement. Otherwise the event was great fun and looking at at some old, fat people overcoming there physical limitation really inspiring.

niloy said...

Thanks. Yes, I agree it was a nice event, more or less well organized -- enjoyed it.

Gudrun said...

Well done, Niloy!
I think I would never manage to finish one.
Enjoy the next few days climbing and don't forget: There is another half marathon or maybe marathon coming up!

Gudrun said...

Nice pictures! They brighten up the blog even more!

Unknown said...

it was a real fun to be there. thanks to you..the pics are good..